Sunday, March 25, 2012

Lampshade Re-do

Finished light shade
I love chandeliers!  I would have one in every room if my hubby would allow it.  I am in the process of re-doing my craft room and I wanted a chandelier but where I wanted to put it the ceiling is low.  So, I decided to make a lampshade look kind of funky and girly. I first found the size of shade I wanted.   I bought mine at Target but you could also go to a thrift shop.  I ripped all the fabric off till it was just the metal frame.  I then spray painted my frame white, you could paint it any color that matches your fabric.

I somehow have lost the next picture so I am going to try and explain it the best I can.  I found a sheer fabric, I had intended to do just a lace but found this flowery sheer fabric at our local Joanns.  The lampshade I used has 6 sections.  The top is narrower than the bottom.  I measured the top and the bottom and added 1 inch to all 4 sides of my sheer fabric.  I then cut my fabric in a wedge shape (don't worry if it isn't the perfect shape just make sure it will cover the entire section you are working on),  I ran a fine line of E6000 glue to the top bar of my lampshade,  folded under about a half inch and attached it to the top of the shade, (I let this dry a little)  then ran a strip of glue down one of the metal bars, turned under a half inch and attached one side of the my fabric wedge.  Then I did the other side the same way.  Make sure that you have your fabric pulled tight so that it is nice and smooth.   I then glued the bottom of the fabric to the bottom of the shade. Repeat this for all 6 sections.   Don't worry about any excess fabric on the inside.  After all your sections are attached and the glue is dried trim the excess fabric on the inside of the shade.    Try and be as neat as possible with your glue, it will look a little rough on the bars but don't worry we will be adding a trim, I added a really small trim from top to bottom of each bar and ran 2 rows of rosette trim to the top and bottom of the shade.
We sell both of the trims at the shop

 I bought a cord with the light fixture attached at Ikea, I had to have my hubby cut it off and thread it through and then re-attach the plug to get this to work.   I will post more pictures of my room as soon as I get finished.  I thought I would be done by now, but I am not.  Here is a picture I took of the shade hanging outside.  This seemed a little daunting at first but wasn't bad at all.  If you have any questions on how I did it you can e-mail me or call me at the shop.  I hope you love it!!
Nadine

2 comments:

Abbey D. said...

Hi Nadine! Stopping by from the SNAP link up to say hello! I'll be attending next month, as well, and am looking forward to seeing all you talented ladies there! Happy and safe travels.

Material Girls said...

Thanks Abbey
Make sure and come and introduce yourself.
Nadine