Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Furniture Makeover

I forgot to take a picture before I started removing the doors.
I thought I would share a little tutorial with you.  By no means am I an expert, so test your paint furniture skills at your own risk!  Shelby is moving out this weekend (sad face) with her friends.  They are moving downtown for the Summer, yes I am going to miss her to pieces but it will be such a great adventure for her too!  So, we bought her a TV and I had this old TV stand in my basement.  We hauled it in to the garage and removed all the doors and knobs.
Shelby using her muscles to sand
It seems like these old oak pieces are load up with varnish so we had to use a lot of elbow grease.  After we had it all sanded we taped off and used Glad Press and Seal (it is like a sticky wax paper) to keep the paint out of the inside.  Using cling wax paper is awesome and saves a lot of time.  It's a must you try on your next painting project.  We used Rust-oleum Painters touch spray paint in Satin and the color is Lagoon.
Then after we had painted it we let it dry for a bit and then sanded the edges and roughed it up a bit.  And then used Rust-oleum Transformations Decorative Glaze in Java Brown.  We sponge brushed it on and then wiped it off.  When we were all down with that we let it dry and then sprayed it with a clear coat varnish.  And Walah!!  Shelby has a "oh so cute TV stand"  I can't wait to visit her and see it all put together!!
Time for a nap!
Nadine & Shelby

8 comments:

amylouwhosews said...

Love love love this!!! I have a bunch of furniture to redo. I'm going to try that glaze!!

Beth said...

looks so cute!

Leigh Hadlock said...

That turned out so cute!! And who would have thought to use glad press and seal! Genious!!!

Rachael said...

Love! I'm refinishing a dresser into a tv stand as well!

Judy Sinclair said...

great job on the furniture.

Natalie said...

Love it! I'm trying to get brave and paint a dresser grey. Very cute blue color!

grannyjanny said...

I love it! I really love the blue, it really makes the whole piece of furniture, that and the round door.

Jeanette said...

Awesome idea!
Is Shelby still going to work at the store?
I am not looking forward to my kids leaving home!